Feminine (shortened to fem) is an adjective/adverb that refers to the act of having, or showing qualities associated with, femininity - a set of behaviors, presentations, and roles which were/are typically culturally associated with being a woman. Feminine can be used to describe one's gender, one's gender presentation, or both.
Genders that are associated with femininity include: FINgenders, juxera, artemian, and demifeminine, among others. Not all individuals with feminine genders will present femininely, and not all individuals who present femininely have a feminine gender. Individuals of any gender or sexual orientation can present as feminine, but those who are assigned female at birth often experience societal pressure to do so. Individuals who are AMABand have a feminine gender or feminine gender presentation may be called transfeminine.
Equivelent terms include masculine, xenine, and others.
The exact qualities associated with femininity are different based on the culture and time period. Qualities that are typically associated with femininity in western society include:
- Grace, delicacy and gentleness.
- Sensitivity, empathy and emotional openness.
- Deference, passivity and a desire for social interaction.
- Nurturing instincts and a desire to care for others.
- A gender expression which includes wearing dresses or skirts, having long hair and/or wearing make-up.
- A gender expression which includes using she/her pronouns.
The feminine flag was designed by imoga-pride on December 17, 2018. The flag's color meanings are currently unknown. The alternate feminine flag was designed by Wikia FANDOM user kirbirb on January 7th, 2021. The flag's color meanings are currently unknown.